If you are good at working with your hands, have good taste and a sense of style you might want to consider making custom jewelry. You can make jewelry in your home or a workshop in your basement or garage.
What Will You Need to Get Started
- You don’t need a special license or certification to make custom jewelry, but you might want to take a jewelry making class. Many two and four-year schools have jewelry or metal working classes and some private businesses also offer classes.
- It is always recommended to consult a lawyer about whether you should form a legal business entity, such as a LLC, to protect your private property and money. An attorney can also review the contracts you use with your clients.
- You will need the raw materials, equipment, and the basic know-how to start making jewelry. You can find websites that sell these supplies. Don’t go crazy buying too much at first. Stones and precious metals can be pricey, so it’s best to buy just enough for a few pieces at first. After your orders start coming in, you can order more supplies.
- It is highly recommended that you get a website. This will allow you to reach people all over the world. As you make a piece, be sure to take a picture of it for your website.
- Some jewelry makers are very successful because they have a niche. They make Native-American or African-American jewelry. Some people make birthstone jewelry or “high-end” jewelry. With jewelry making, anything is possible—be creative.
How Much Can I Make?
- Custom jewelry can sell for $20 to $5,000. How much you make, depends on how good you are, how many people you can reach, and how much demand there is for your product. The most profitable custom jewelry makers usually have a specialty. If you can come up with something different and beautiful, you have the chance to make a lot of money.